You are here
KAYUNGA DISTRICT COUNCIL APPROVES KIIRA MOTORS ECO-AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRIAL AND TECHNOLOGY (AITP) PARK MASTER PLAN
Kayunga District Local Government council on 13th October, 2022 unanimously approved Kiira Motors ECO-ECO Automotive Industrial and Technological Park (AITP) Master Plan.
The motion to approve the master plan was moved by Hon. Namata and seconded by Hon. Katumba. In a meeting presided over by the District Speaker Hon. Bulinson Saleh
Kiira Motors Corporation is a State Enterprise established to champion value addition in the nascent Motor Vehicle Industry in Uganda through Technology Transfer, Contract manufacturing and Supply Chain Localization. This strategic intervention is poised to contribute to the industrialization agenda envisaged to aid the transformation of Uganda into an upper-middle-income economy by 2040. The Shareholders of Kiira Motors Corporation are The Government of the Republic of Uganda represented by the Ministry responsible for Science, Technology and Innovation, the Office of the President (96%) and Makerere University (4%).
Kiira Motors Corporation is developing long-term technology partnership(s) to build core capabilities to Develop, Make, and Sell motor vehicles and components in Africa on a Mission to build a better Uganda through Automotive Technology. The Strategic Technology Partnership(s) are premised on 4+1 pillars of People, Plant, Products, Mobility Infrastructure and Policy founded on strategies developed and shaped by the realities and characteristics of the target market in Uganda and Africa.
Kiira Motors- Eco-AITP is located in a green field in Bbaale Sub- County, Kayunga District Central Uganda along the Road from Kayunga to Galiraya. According to the draft NPDP (2018), the site is situated within the Bio-region of the River Nile and Lake Kyoga basin. It's approximately 173 km from Kampala City and 97km from the Kiira Vehicle Plant in Jinja. The site sits on 2 Square miles (1,280 acres) of land all of which is planned to be developed to serve the Eco-AITP. Kiira Motors- Eco-AITP site is situated about 54 km from Kayunga Town along Kayunga-Galiraya Road at Plot 11, Block 160, in Kataigwa Village, Kasokwe Parish, Galiraya Sub County, Bbale County, Kayunga District. The site occupies a total of 518.011 Hectares (1280.0Acres).
The project will develop, make and sell motor vehicle and vehicle components for the African market, provide design, Software Development, Engineering and Testing Services to the Global Automotive Industry and Adjacent Industries (Electronics, Aerospace, Agriculture, Medical Devices, and Construction etc , support the establishment of efficient, integrated, safe and inclusive public transport systems, advanced development and adoption of Connected, Autonomous, Shared, and Electric (CASE) vehicle technology in line with the automotive industry’s current and future trends and localize the Automotive Industry Supply Chain for domestic value addition’
Proposed facilities within the ECO-AITP will include;
Industrial Infrastructure Vehicle Plant, Logistics, 10 auto parts, Proving Ground, Small and Medium Enterprises.
Transportation Infrastructure; Primary Roads, Secondary Roads, Tertiary roads, Transport Terminal
Environmental infrastructure; Stormwater drainage, sewerage/ wastewater treatment and disposal facilities, solid waste management facilities, green/open spaces/ landscapes, etc.
Social infrastructure; Education, religious, health and social institutions
Housing infrastructure; High density, Medium and low-density accommodation
Institutional Infrastructure; Administration block, fire &police station, Skilling Centre and Innovation Centre.)
Special Infrastructure; Solar Plant, Biogas Plant, Power Substation.
Technical infrastructure; Green industrial buildings, renewable energy/energy efficiency provisions, business centers, warehouses, innovation and skilling centers, etc.
Proposed facilities within the ECO-AITP
The facilities within the ECO-AITP will include;
9. Industrial Infrastructure Vehicle Plant, Logistics, 10 auto parts, Proving Ground, Small and Medium Enterprises.
10. Transportation Infrastructure; Primary Roads, Secondary Roads, Tertiary roads, Transport Terminal
11. Environmental infrastructure; Stormwater drainage, sewerage/ wastewater treatment and disposal facilities, solid waste management facilities, green/open spaces/ landscapes, etc.
12. Social infrastructure; Education, religious, health and social institutions
13. Housing infrastructure; High density, Medium and low-density accommodation
14. Institutional Infrastructure; Administration block, fire &police station, Skilling Centre and Innovation Centre.)
15. Special Infrastructure; Solar Plant, Biogas Plant, Power Substation.
16. Technical infrastructure; Green industrial buildings, renewable energy/energy efficiency provisions, business centres, warehouses, innovation and skilling centres, etc.
Benefits of ECO_AITP
1. The project will provide employment to Uganda’s population and the priority will be labour from Kayunga district and respective communities surrounding the project. The KMC Eco AITP will provide employment opportunities, as it is envisaged that there will be a number of Auto Parts Manufacturing Plants. These are envisaged to produce auto parts including Auto Glass, Brake Pads, Fibre Glass Panels, Nuts and Bolts, Rubber Bushes, Filters (Air, Fuel and Oil), Vehicle Electronic Control Units, Vehicle Seats, Bamboo Boards, Banana Fibre Carpets, Lithium Ion Batteries and HVAC Systems among others. All this will offer an opportunity for both skilled and unskilled labour.
2. In relation to the above, the local community will be open to the outside world offering opportunities to trade and interconnection to the sale of other goods and services with the ECO-AITP, thus improving the standard of living of the population within the area.
3. KMC Eco- AITP will strongly promote urbanization (population living in urban areas) which can support the economic
4. The KMC ECO-AITP will promote education services as the centre is planning to have education institutions within the ECO-AITP.
5. There are plans for the construction of large-scale investments in transportation infrastructure like the expressway, and rails that will speed up the transportation of raw materials and finished goods to the ECO-AITP. This will promote connectivity of the District to other areas thus igniting development within the region and Kayunga District.
6. Promotion of tourism within the District, and the area., increasing the revenue base
7. Offer training opportunities and improved skills in the medium to long term especially to the young people.
In attendance was the Resident District Commissioner Hajji Dumba, CAO Mr.Batambuze Abdu, DPC, NRM District Chairperson Mr.Kalangwa Moses, Deputy RDC Cadre Mawerere Peter , Lower Local Government Chairpersons among others.
- About Us